Friday, July 13, 2012

Baking mix

My Helper
Sometimes we do quick and easy around here....but mostly we try to eliminate those processed foods. One of the easier ways for me to do this is to make a large batch of biscuit/pancake/waffle mix and keep it (in an oatmeal container) in the refrigerator for easy access. 
  
I made the batch in the picture with mostly whole-wheat flour. The boys didn't bat an eye, but I really didn't like it (I just don't like 100% whole wheat flavor.) I'll try it with Kamut flour next time.



Large Batch Baking Mix

3 cups whole wheat flour 
1 3/4 cups white flour
1/4 cup cold milled flax
6 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar (I used Sucanat**)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup
unsalted butter, slightly softened


Mix all in Food Processor until mix is pebbly. Refrigerate for up to 5 weeks.


Directions for mix:
 Biscuits: 

Mix together 1/3 cup of milk for every 1 cup of mix. Bake @ 450ºF  (410 convection) for 10 min.

Note: Add any additional ingredients you wish such as cheese or herbs before adding the milk.
 1 cup of mix will yield about 6 biscuits.
Pancakes: 
Mix 2 cups of mix with 1 cup milk and 2 eggs. 
  
**Sucanat is essentially pure dried sugar cane juice  While it is a sugar,  vitamins, minerals, and molasses are not displaced during the processing of the product. 

No comments: