Sunday, July 8, 2012

Healthy(ish) Scones

My boys love scones (and so do I) so I thought I'd oil my rusty baking skillz and bake some scones. Since Mr. Dude does all the baking around here, the boys were overjoyed and surprised when I presented these giant, healthy-ish scones to go with lunch.

 Other than the butter I didn't feel bad that they were eating all this sconey-goodness!

Lady J’s Scone recipe
2 cups flour: I use ½ cup white; 1 cup whole wheat and ½ cup Kamut flour*
½ tsp. nutmeg (I double when using predominantly wheat flours)
2 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
8 TBS softened butter
¾ cup buttermilk (see photo)
1 egg- beaten

Combine all ingredients. Knead sparingly on lightly floured surface. Press dough into a circle 3/4” thick and cut into 8 pie wedges. Sprinkle tops with raw sugar and place on lightly greased sheet

Bake at 400/ (375 convection) 12 minutes
 

* I use Bob’s Red Mill brand. Kamut flour is a form of durum wheat originated in Egypt. It is considered to be less allergenic than common wheat and contains a unique type of gluten that is said to be easier to digest than common wheat gluten.
 Kamut is more nutritious than regular wheat due to a higher protein and potassium content. It has a rich "buttery" taste which makes it a good substitute for white or whole wheat flour.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (34 g)
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 0 Total Fat 0 g 0% Sodium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 24 g 8% Dietary Fiber 4 g 16% Protein 4 g Iron 4%

1 comment:

Jackie P said...

These look great! Good job!